Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Michael Crichton's Micro

So I just finished reading a novel, Micro by Michael Crichton (completed by Richard Preston because Crichton passed away in 2008). And what I feel recently, I want to live in the micro world once, if I ever have a chance, or if the tensor technology of shrinking things really do exist. Micro tells a story of a group of six PhD students who had been invited by a company, Nanigen that doing research for searching new potential drugs. But then they discovered the dark side of the company, so they have been shrunk to the size of an inch using the tensor field, a electromagnetic-related technology which was able to shrink molecules. In an attempt to escape, they found themselves dropped in a man-made jungle belongs to Nanigen. Living in a micro world was just like living in a wide battle field.

Being an inch in height made all those small little creatures giant to them. I learnt a lot of new thing which mostly wowed me. I learnt that beetles, millipedes, wisps and other small insects produce very powerful chemicals even lethal chemicals for their survival. That would definitely make a micro-human very fragile in their world because human can't produce chemicals, and without armor suit our cells are so fragile, even an ant can tear our body apart. However, on the other side micro world was actually a beautiful and amazing place. We can even see the single cell bacteria. I work with bacteria every day, just imagine how anxious I want to see them, as a single cell alone. By living in a micro world, it will just make a dream come true!

Micro was perfectly written because I can imagine myself in the story, some part has got on my nerves, some part made me feel very nervous, and some part made me want to throw up. And sometimes the author's view of the life of those postgrads students were more or less the same as mine, perhaps that makes me feel very close to the story. Plus the science behind it was so familiar cause that what I was facing each day of my grad school after all. People say reading is like traveling, off course it is :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2035 A WALK TO REMEMBER
Theme by Yusuf Fikri