Thursday, January 17, 2013

Small dots

So there was one day, me, Fizah and Kak Tim have been wondering about why our supervisor has always wanted us to go early to the lab and indeed he could turn to be a monster if he doesn't see his student by 8.30am. Kak Tim came out with her theory of the early birds, the early birds got to catch more worms. But somehow, whenever we relate it to the real situation, we found a dead end. Like students that arrive at the lab at 10am, they still graduate and get the scroll. Birds that go out at 10am still get the worms.

Then, this sort of 'discussion' was dragged to another curiosity. What is the significance of the people like us (I mean the molecular biologists) to the world. We did feel like we don't contribute anything to the society. Because apparently people like doctors and teachers are very much needed by the society. It's kind of sad when we come to think about this actually. Then Fizah came out with the idea of small dots that make a dot portrait. We are the small dots that constitute the portrait. While doctors are the large dots which if missing will do a big damage to the portrait. No. No. Something was so wrong here. This  doesn't make us feel better at all. Small dots are just like acnes and blackheads on the face, better without it. Again, we found a dead end.

We were so not happy, so we bring this up to the lab on the next day. Hoping that someone could explain it. So Kak Shal's thought was kind of answering everything. She said, people like us are not an inventor that their contributions are something seen, perceived. But without people like us, we would still be driving the steam-engined car, and I won't be typing in this sleek and thin ultrabook. Research will improve the current invention and it will never stop because it is the nature of human, never felt satisfy and always want to make things better. We are actually the indirect contributors for making this world a better place.

Suddenly I just realized I do have a role in this world and I'm not just a nobody. It feels like I have been given a new spirit. Just like the fog has lifted and finally I see the light. I am happy knowing that people need me and I'd just love to keep that in mind because every time I do, I enjoy my work. Thanks mate for lifting that fog out of my sight!


p/s: No one can explain the early birds theory yet. Don't have a gut to ask my supervisor though. So anyone?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2035 A WALK TO REMEMBER
Theme by Yusuf Fikri